Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Basic Message in Every Speech




“Here I am,” Is a basic message when we speak. Sure, you need to know what you are talking about, but John Maxwell summed it up nicely when he said “People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.”

People will seek to figure out if you have good will in your heart toward them. The oily used car salesman puts a shine over the rust and hopes the vehicle runs long enough to get off the lot. That message of “Here I am” makes people run the other way from someone who only cares for pocketing a commission.

Amanda Berry uttered her own version of "Here I Am" in her call to 9-1-1 on May 6,
Caller: Help me. I'm Amanda Berry.

Dispatcher: You need police, fire, ambulance?

Caller: I need police.

Dispatcher: OK, and what's going on there?

Caller: I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years, and I'm, I'm here, I'm free now.
Her words gave me a glimmer of hope in a sad, traumatic crime. She has the basic message.

So how is your ethos? That’s what Aristotle called it. What do people see when you offer up yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment